Subject: To OCPs and NFPs for information: Publication of Scientific Opinion and One Health guidance on zoonotic avian influenza
From: "ECDC respiratory viruses" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "ECDC Info" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2025 12:37:33 +0200

Tähelepanu! Tegemist on väljastpoolt asutust saabunud kirjaga. Tundmatu 
saatja korral palume linke ja faile mitte avada.

To:        Operational Contact Points for Influenza, COVID-19 and SARI, 
National Focal Points for Viral Respiratory Diseases, Western Balkan and 
Türkiye Contact Points for Operations for Influenza, COVID-19 and SARI, 
Western Balkan and Türkiye Observer National Focal Points for Viral 
Respiratory Diseases

Cc:        National Coordinators, Western Balkan and Türkiye National 
Correspondents

Dear colleagues,

Together with colleagues in the European Food Safety Authority, we are 
pleased to share two new outputs on zoonotic avian influenza which have been 
published today on the ECDC website and can be found via the links below.

Preparedness, prevention and control related to zoonotic avian influenza 
<https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/preparedness-prevention-and-control-related-zoonotic-avian-influenza> 
: In this scientific opinion, experts generated a comprehensive list of 
mutations, from which they identified 34 genetic mutations that might 
increase the potential of avian influenza viruses to spread to humans. Using 
molecular analysis and genomic surveillance, animal and public health 
laboratories can refer to the list of mutations, which should be 
continuously updated, to monitor the emergence of strains that could 
potentially transmit to humans. Key recommendations and preparedness 
measures for public health are also provided in the scientific opinion, 
including topics such as genetic analysis, public health surveillance and 
awareness raising among individuals at risk of exposure, healthcare 
professionals and the general public.

Coordinated One Health investigation and management of outbreaks in humans 
and animals caused by zoonotic avian influenza 
<https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/avian-influenza-coordinated-one-health-investigation-outbreaks> 
viruses: Provides a practical guidance for investigation and control of 
avian influenza outbreaks affecting both humans and animals, using a 
coordinated One Health approach. In the guidance, you can find flowcharts 
outlining response actions for five outbreak scenarios at the 
human-animal-environment interface, emphasising the importance of an 
interdisciplinary response among all stakeholders. We hope this work will 
support Member States in creating tailored national guidelines.

Best wishes,

ECDC Respiratory Viruses and Legionella team

European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC)Gustav III:s boulevard 40, 169 73 Solna, Sweden

Phone +46 (0)8 58 60 10 00

 <https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/> www.ecdc.europa.eu

Follow ECDC on:

 <http://www.facebook.com/ECDC.EU>

 <http://twitter.com/ecdc_eu>

 <http://www.linkedin.com/company/ecdc>

 <http://www.youtube.com/user/ECDCchannel>

Classified as ECDC NORMAL 

Confidentiality Notice
If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are hereby kindly 
requested, to, consecutively, refrain from disclosing its content to any 
third party, delete it and inform its sender of the erroneous transmittal.

Classified as ECDC NORMAL